We would like to thank local artist, Hal Cameron, for this year’s gathering logo.
Hal is an artist and language learner from Beardy’s & Okemasis First Nation amongst the Willow Cree People (Nîpisîkopâwiyinînâhk). He was born and raised on Treaty 6 territory in central Kisiskâciwan.
For the logo, Hal wanted to create a piece that stepped away from stereotypical symbols used to depict Indigenous groups in Canada. With input of friends from across the country he incorporated elements that, when combined, aimed to capture the spirit of building diverse relationships:
– the braid of sweetgrass to represent First Nations,
– the Metis floral beadwork,
– the rings inspired by traditional Inuit tattooing,
– the wheat for the Prairie landscape, and
– the medicine wheel uniting all people together.