The CRE National Youth Gathering is facilitated by youth and for youth. Our youth facilitators are Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth from local and out of province communities. The following is a snapshot of the programming featured at the gathering. For the full program, please click here.
Elders will share welcome messages to inform youth participants of the knowledge and teachings of the Treaty 6 Territory where Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is situated.
A panel of diverse Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth leaders from across the country will open a dialogue on developing respect and unity and the meaning of sharing space.
Prominent youth and community leaders will share local insight on the themes of reconciliation, the future of respectful relationships, and youth leadership. Past keynote speakers have included Autumn Peltier, Erica Violet Lee, Desmond Cole, Truth and Reconciliation Commissioner Marie Wilson, and Wab Kinew.
Youth-Led Workshop Sessions
Participants will choose sessions from a variety of options which will run parallel to each other during morning and afternoon time blocks.
Some examples of themes that have been explored at past conferences include:
- 2 Spirit Teachings and intersecting cultural identities
- Significance of provincial and national treaties and the history of treaty-making
- Challenging stigma related to mental health and addictions
- Positive relationships between Newcomer and Indigenous youth
- Community organizing and outreach
- Cultural safety and sexual and reproductive health
- Hip hop, spoken-word, and dance as tools for reconciliation
- Environmental protection and education